Friday, February 18, 2011

I call myself "CAStLE", and this is why..........

Everyone has a nickname. Even the most unknown and unpopular of hermits has had a nickname or something they were referred to as, regardless of whether they knew of it or not. A vast many people call themselves something for an even more endless amount of reasons. Why am I CAStLE? Well....

The story of how the name stuck and became somewhat official for me, was pretty simple. I had already had a slew of nicknames. Some of them complimentary, most of them goofy. I was always a fan of FRANK CASTLE aka; The Punisher in comic books and the like. There was a group of older friends starting a close knit type of group called "Echo Side", that I was not only to be a member of, but also a 'Don' as they so commonly referred to as a boss, of sorts. There was 4 of these including me, in which they were making a special adjustment to allow me this title. Anyways, long story short, I went through a small amount of fraternity type challenges. Honestly, looking back, some of it I hated at the moment, but would come to love it later, because the memory is so original and vivid to me still. So, I succeeded, I was now CAStLE.

The thing about this name is it is NOT original in any aspect. To this date, I've seen like 4 other fools calling themselves Castle, almost all for the same reason. They also like The Punisher. Congratulations fellas, you're a one-of-a-kind. However, the reasons in which I call myself CAStLE, which are the reasons I relate to the character, are personal to me.

Frank Castle the Punisher is an Italian(Yeah, that's right, original name Frank Castiglione. Look it up.)vigilante who has had his family taken from him. Perhaps you've seen at least one of the three movies. He's an outcast who keeps to himself. A miscreant. A loner. An outsider. Also, more importantly, a pessimist. It's rarely covered in anything, but one of the things that makes him so admirable, to me anyway, is that he wants to die. Yet, every fight or endeavor he jumps into, that's the one thing that usually saves him. He expects to die, expects the worse to happen, but it never comes. Anyone who knows me, knows I practically live my life by that notion. My pessimistic ways always look down and expect the worst, so that hopefully I become wrong, and I'm pleasantly surprised. This is my motto. Whats the worst that could happen? I expect the negative to happen, it does, and then at least I was right and perhaps have prepared. However, if I'm wrong and something does go my way, I'm delightfully surprised, and a weight has been lifted. Does the latter happen much? Sadly, no. Some might claim my attitude might bring this outcome about. Well, to that all I can say is, I don't want bad things to happen, I just expect them with my track record and am too familiar with my own luck, if you will. I made a whole record in which the point of it was to be the opposite, and have a positive outlook. Has it worked at all? Maybe more on that some other time.

So, taking in to account all the factors- I don't have much of a family in my life, I'm pretty much a loner who stays to himself and doesn't say much, I'm Italian, and the fact that I don't expect much and am pessimist, makes it easy to sympathize with Mr.Castle. Almost everyone else probably solely likes the guy for the skull on his chest and blazing guns. How long will I go with this nickname, if it is that? Will it last? Should I ever change it? The only thing I could say to these questions is that I know whats reasonable, and I know what I'm familiar with. Only time will tell.. Or maybe time won't. I wouldn't be surprised.

CAStLE aka
Mike Interrante

No comments:

Post a Comment